This week we had a chance to meet with Janice and revisit our goals. She shared with us the book Becoming a High Expectations Teacher by Christine Rubie-Davies. It really struck a chord with me as it encompasses alot of what I have been trying to achieve with in the classroom within my teaching as Inquiry such as -
* Growth Mindset - the belief that Intelligence is something the can be developed
- Focus on the journey, making mistakes and taking risks is something to be encouraged
- Ensuring children are supported with specific feedback, strategies to further learning
* Flexible groupings within writing sessions, focus on collaborating to form learning goals, peer editing - giving children the skills to provide constructive feedback in an empathetic manner
* Giving children agency over learning - ie Maths Must do's/Can do's/ Novel contracts - Providing them with opportunities to work in different peer groupings and setting high expectations for all students within those learning activities.
I came across this article by Professor Rubie-Davies which discusses the benefits of flexible groupings. A very valuable read and completely relevant to the changes I have made in my classroom.
http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-resources/NZC-Online-blog/Raising-the-bar-with-flexible-grouping
I also found the following article which again related perfectly to what I have been trying to achieve within my classroom. It is a pertinent reminder that classroom environment is vital, a positive environment where children are engaged and valued. In Room 6 we have really worked hard to develop a collaborative approach - peer teaching and reflection, productive group work, meaningful teacher/learner collaboration, ensuring that everyone experiences success, taking our Year 6 leadership roles seriously and focusing on our own personal learning journey's.
http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-resources/NZC-Online-blog/High-expectations-in-your-classroom
No comments:
Post a Comment